POLICIES FOR DERMAPEN & DERMAPLANING
- FOR best results and to reduce the risk of complications, it is mandatory that use the prescribed O Cosmedics/DP Dermaceuticals protocols prior to your treatment.
- Sun exposure and/or usage of a tanning bed, including self-tanning products must be avoided for 7 days before and after the treatment. Treatment within 24 hours of prolonged sun exposure (natural sunlight, artificial tanning booth, or sunless tanning products) may result in hypopigmentation (white spots) or hyperpigmentation (dark spots) that may not clear for several months or may even be permanent. A Microneedling treatment will not be administered on sunburned skin.
- Area to be treated must be clean, and free of any lotion, makeup, and sunscreen. If you have any of these on, they must be completely washed off prior to treatment.
- Accutane and any other photosensitizing medication should be discontinued for a period of at least 6 months prior to receiving treatment and should not be used during your course of treatment.
- No area to be treated should receive any type of Chemical Peel for 2 weeks prior and after treatment.
- Retin-A, Renova, and Tazorac must not be used for 1 week prior or after treatment.
- Waxing and/or use of chemical depilatories must be avoided for 2 weeks prior and after the treatment. Shaving is allowed immediately before treatment and 48-72 hours after treatment as long as there is no skin irritation.
- You may not be pregnant for this treatment.
- Notify the provider of any tattoos, including cosmetic tattooing, in the vicinity of the area to be treated as tattoos must be avoided.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we may recommend prophylactic antiviral therapy in the form of Valtrex® or Aycylovir. If so, follow the directions for your prescription.
- During the course of your treatments, notify your practitioner of any changes to your medical history, health status, or personal activities that may be relevant to your treatment.
What Dermapen downtime to expect after a Dermapen treatment:
Day 1: Severity of erythema will depend on how the skin responds.
Day 2: A red or pink hue persists, similar to a moderate sunburn. Swelling may be more noticeable on the second day.
Day 3: Skin can be pink or simply remain normal in color. Swelling subsides. Your practitioner will prescribe a Dermapen approved, post-session topical and skin care regimen after the session to help soothe, calm and protect the skin. Continue to use for 3 days. Active skincare regimen can be resumed again after day 3.
CLEAN – Use a soothing cleanser or face wash with tepid water to cleanse the face for the following 48 hours and dry gently. Always make sure your hands are clean when touching the area that has been needled.
HEAL – Consult with your Dermapen practitioner for your personalized skincare regimen.
HYDRATE – Following your Dermapen session, the skin may feel drier than normal. Hyaluronic Acid is an ideal ingredient to hydrate and restore the skin back to perfect balance.
STIMULATE – In the days following your Dermapen session, as the skin starts to become rehabilitated, your Dermapen practitioner may offer a peptide based topical.
MAKEUP – It is recommended that makeup is not applied for 12 hours after the session, although your practitioner may be able to supply you with specialized mineral makeup that they feel would be suitable for use during this period. Do not apply any makeup with a makeup brush, especially if it is not clean.
Dermapen Home Care
A. Wash the face thoroughly a few hours after your Dermapen treatment. Gently massage the face with tepid water (a shower can provide an easier way to massage the face while washing at the same time), and remove all serum and other debris such as dried blood. This will improve the appearance of the skin and also allow for better subsequent absorption of any post-session topical. Mineral makeup may be applied the following day.
B. For the first 1-3 days, the skin will may feel dry and tight. Frequent use of a Dermapen approved, post-session topical will help alleviate this as well as the use of moisturizers.
C. After 2-3 days patients can return to regular skin care products or as soon as it is comfortable to do so. Vitamin A products are optimal and suggested.
D. Avoid alcohol based toners for 10-14 days.
E. Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 10 days if possible.
F. Do not apply chemical sunscreen the same day as the Dermapen treatment. Only Use Dermapen downtime approved physical defence sunscreen.
Dermaplaning how to prepare + Contraindications of Dermaplaning include:
- Current inflamed acne lesions;
- Skin cancer;
- Active cold sores;
- Uncontrolled diabetes;
- Open skin lesions;
- Use of Accutane currently or in the past six months; and/or
The use of prescription retinol within a week of treatment.
- You may experience slight redness and swelling, which should resolve within 24 hours.
- Mineral make-up can be worn immediately following treatment.
- Avoid heat, saunas, hot tubs and sweaty activity for 24 hours; this includes exercise of any kind.
- Avoid products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, retinol, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents, etc.) for 24 hours after treatment.
- You may resume your regular skin care routine 24 hours after treatment.